I got a recipe out of mom!! It’s not like she’s secretive about her cooking or anything but it’s just that she doesn’t make stuff from recipes. Like mother, Like daughter I suppose: going with the flow and adding a pinch of this and a bunch of that and “ooh, I like that, let’s add more”. I’m a little more structured, as I almost always start with a recipe (or a couple) and then go off on my own variations – mixing the recipes and changing it up based on what ingredients I have, lol.
Now that I’m trying to write out recipes, I realize how annoying that is, lol.
- 1 cup water water
- 1/3 cup part sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (be stingy and don’t fill it up all the way, lol. You don’t need that much salt)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- juice of lemon (to taste)
- Chili flakes
- Thai pepper
- Dissolve sugar and salt in water.
- Add vinegar and fish sauce.
- Taste-test and adjust to palate.
- When the taste is to your liking, add garlic, chili flakes and diced Thai hot pepper.
- Lemon juice can be added at this point.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Serve on the Cold Rice Vermicelli