Quinoa is a protein-rich way to start your day and is packed full of various B vitamins as well as anti-oxidants like quercetin.
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Handful of fresh berries (I used cherries and blueberries)
- Maple syrup (Optional)
- Rinse quinoa a few times to remove bitter saponin flavour.
- Toss quinoa into a pot and cook with water over medium-high heat until liquid has evaporated (about 15 minutes).
- While you wait for the quinoa to cook, wash and inspect berries and discard moldy or rotting pieces. Since I used cherries, I also needed to de-stem them and remove their pits.
- When quinoa is cooked through, stir in berries and either cook for another 5 minutes to release more of the fruit juices, or remove from heat and serve.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, to taste – if using.
- You can use any fruit in this versatile breakfast – for a sweeter taste, use bananas, dried dates or raisins.
- If you don’t have quinoa, you can always substitute it with steel-cut oats.