I love the glorious reddish-pink colour that comes from beets – especially in smoothies. I suppose it’s because I find it reminiscent of those sugar-filled ‘fruit smoothies’ you’d get at fast food joints and I really do eat with my eyes.
It’s one of the reasons why I develop juices and smoothies based on colour families – this one uses a warm colour scheme while many of my other ones contain green schemes. For added visual interest, I also layered the colours instead of mixing it all together, but by all means, feel free to blend/juice it all together.
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 oranges
- 1 banana
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small beet (or a chunk from a larger beet)
- Juice the lemon and oranges first (I saved the pulp for the second step)
- Combine citrus juices, pulp (if using) with banana in a blender and blend.
- Transfer to serving cups.
- Juice the red pepper and beet. Pour into serving cups – it magically sunk to the bottom for me, but I think this can be varied depending on:
- whether or not you kept the citrus pulp
- how quickly you pour it (mine was a quick-pour)
- how you pour it (e.g. down the side of the glass might make the red on top)
- how big your fruits and veggies were (because that affects density of the liquids)
- For tips on how to make juicing cost-effective, please visit this page.