This recipe was based on one from What’s Up Magazine, Summer 2009 issue – the original was awesomely tasty, I just improvised some ingredients I was missing, LOL.
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 sweet orange pepper
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 bunch parsley
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Drizzle of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup feta
- Cut each pepper in half and place on baking tray, cut-side down.
- Bake in oven at 400F for 20-30 minutes (until softened and there’s a little bit of char).
- Allow it to cool, then cut into small pieces.
- While the peppers are baking, drain (you can save this can water for recipes calling for “aquafaba”) and rinse the chickpeas.
- Transfer chickpeas to a pot, add water to cover and bring to a boil, reduce to medium-high heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While that’s happening, chop parsley into small pieces and crumble feta. Transfer to serving dish or storage container.
- Add in cooled peppers, cooled chickpeas and seasoning and combine well.
- This is a great “make ahead” salad – tossing in the seasoning ingredients ahead of time will allow the flavours to marinate.
- In a pinch, you can skip the step that tells you to simmer your chickpeas – cooking them just makes them a bit softer and a bit more digestible (i.e. fewer farts!)